Child Care Centers to Close

Disney has announced that resort child care centers will permanently close in 2018.  

Wilderness Lodge Cub's Den

The three remaining supervised child care facilities--Simba's Cubhouse at Disney’s Animal Kingdom LodgeSandcastle Club at Disney's Beach Club Resort and Lilo's Playhouse at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort--will cease operations effective July 31, 2018.  

The Cub's Den at Disney's Wilderness Lodge closed during recent renovations.  Other facilities at Disney's Contemporary Resort and Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas have been phased-out over the years.  Disney attributes the move to declining guest interest.  

The clubs offer supervised child care for kids up to 12 years old for an hourly fee.  Games, crafts and movie viewings lead by Disney Cast Members are part of the experience.  A minimum stay is required and each visit typically includes a meal.  

In-room child care services remain available through Kid's Night Out.  There is no immediate word on whether or not Disney plans to replace the supervised care centers with a new offering.  

This move does not impact Community Halls at any of the Disney Vacation Club resorts.  

DVCNews Reader Comments:
Re: Child Care Centers to Close -- KNWVIKING 2.0
2018 Jan 10 03:18:53 PM
I never understood the need for them in the first place.

Why would you take your kids to WDW and then leave them in Day Care?

I get having "Kid's Night Out" at least once during a trip so mom and dad can enjoy a night out, but never thought Day Care was a good idea.
Re: Child Care Centers to Close -- Brad1972
2018 Jan 11 10:51:33 AM
KNWVIKING 2.0 wrote:
I never understood the need for them in the first place.

Why would you take your kids to WDW and then leave them in Day Care?

I get having "Kid's Night Out" at least once during a trip so mom and dad can enjoy a night out, but never thought Day Care was a good idea.
The child care centers are not "day care," as I believe they don't start accepting any children until after 4:30pm. The intention behind the child care centers was the same as the "Kids Night Out," i.e., to allow parents the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner (or a nice lounge) that the kids probably wouldn't enjoy anyway.
Re: Child Care Centers to Close -- KNWVIKING 2.0
2018 Jan 11 11:04:03 AM
Brad1972 wrote:
The child care centers are not "day care," as I believe they don't start accepting any children until after 4:30pm. The intention behind the child care centers was the same as the "Kids Night Out," i.e., to allow parents the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner (or a nice lounge) that the kids probably wouldn't enjoy anyway.

If we are talking about the same places, they definitely accepted kids during the day, but I have no idea what their published operating hours were.

ETA: Just googled Cub's Den, and found it opened at 2:30 for kids crafts. The place over at BC I recall having craft classes for kids during the day, would assume they operated same hours.
Re: Child Care Centers to Close -- ruby66
2018 Jan 11 12:37:34 PM
I used the centers occasionally up until a few years back. As I recall, they weren't available during the day back then. It was a 4:30p
drop off for your child or children at an hourly fee for a parent's night out. They may have opened up for activities during the day, but not as a drop off center.
Re: Child Care Centers to Close -- Brad1972
2018 Jan 11 01:25:11 PM
ruby66 wrote:
I used the centers occasionally up until a few years back. As I recall, they weren't available during the day back then. It was a 4:30p
drop off for your child or children at an hourly fee for a parent's night out. They may have opened up for activities during the day, but not as a drop off center.
Correct. They have activities during the day but do not accept drop offs until after 4:30pm.

I never took advantage of these kids clubs, but I know many who did will be disappointed...
Use login box at upper left to comment

Email

Related Content